Blake had his eye doctor appointment yesterday and I'm happy to report that everything went well! The Dr said his right eye is having a difficult time seeing far away, so his left eye is working harder to make up for it. The Dr said that Blake would be fine without glasses for this year, but would definitely need them before 4th grade next year. He said there's no harm in waiting to get them, so we scheduled an appt in June 2013 to get the glasses prescription.
 |
One of the tests Blake had to do was to wear colored glasses and read a few sentences. He almost looks like John Lennon!
|
 |
The Dr examining Blake's eyes.
|
 |
Blake had to get his eyes dilated, so he got to wear these "cool" sunglasses at Treehouse for three hours.
On a different note ... |
 |
Notice anything different?
It's empty.
We got rid of our chickens on Saturday. For the last couple of months, it's been challenging getting the hens to produce some eggs. For our 5 chickens, we were originally getting 4-5 eggs daily. Then it dwindled down to 2-3. Then I was getting 1 egg. Sometimes I would get an egg, only to have it fall apart in my hand (gross). Or there was poop on it. Or it was cracked. Or it was completely broken apart with egg goo all over. My family goes through anywhere between 3-5 eggs a day for breakfast, and I was buying both chicken feed and eggs at the store. I decided I wasn't going to do that anymore, and my neighbor had a friend who would "take care of them".
It's so weird not having them here. We've been chicken owners pretty much since we moved to our new house. I've gotten in the routine to come home from work, check the mail, check the chickens, check the fish, make dinner, etc. I was used to feeding them our table scraps, or peanut shells, or clearance produce, or bananas, or grass, or weeds, things they loved. I made Blake buttered noodles for dinner, and typically I would give the leftovers to the chickens (this was another one of their favorites!). Then I have to remind myself that there are no more chickens. It's a weird feeling. But their time was done.
Now that I have a little bit of extra time in the evenings without having to do chicken chores, Blake and I have been having a blast playing chess.
|
 |
| We played three games last night and I was completely surprised that he stomped me on one of the games. He's getting pretty good and I'm really hoping that this will be a new hobby for him. He seems to really enjoy the challenge of playing it! |
Hi Jamie,
ReplyDeleteYou know, there are books out there that describe eye exercises for those who are a little near-sighted. I can recommend one if you'd like. I thought about doing that myself, but that would only change my perscription a little. But Blake may be able to get some use out of it since he is only having a little trouble. Of course, the doctors aren't going to recommend it since that would eliminate a need for their job. Also, it can't do any harm to have Blake try some reading glasses. There only $10.00 at Walgreens. I kind of figured Blake may be headed for a need for glasses when I saw him working on his math so closely. So reading glasses might just be the right thing for him. Give them a try. You might even find some cool looking glasses for kids on Amazon.com
Mike K.