Saturday, April 28, 2012

The anchor blanket ...


I have to tell you about this anchor blanket I just finished making.

About a month ago, the PSA decided that we should hold a school carnival, complete with games, food, and raffle prizes. I got super excited, because I had some extra fleece at my house that I could make into blankets to donate as raffle prizes. I had enough to make two blankets, one for a little boy (dinosaurs) and one for a little girl (flowers). I had the organization of the raffle in my head ... each donated item would be on the table, with a box. If you were interested in winning that item, you buy raffle tickets and put them into the box in front of the item. Then they would draw a ticket from each box and the winner would receive that particular item. Spectacular plan, at least in my mind. So I made the boy's blanket last weekend and was going to work on the girl's blanket this weekend.


Then we had a carnival meeting last week, and it was soon realized that my raffle idea was not at all what the other committee members had in their minds. They were all planning on having one box for the raffle tickets. If you wanted a chance to win any of the items, you have to put your ticket into the single box and hope & pray you get the item you really want.

Crap.

This idea will definitely not work with my boy/girl blanket plan. If my son's raffle number was drawn when they were holding up the girl's blanket, I think I would have a rather distraught little boy. Or vice versa.

So I had to re-do my plan.

I happened to be on the northside of Holland on Friday after that "wierd" PSA meeting, so I decided to stop at JoAnn's just to see if I could find some fleece material that could be unisex.

And on the clearance rack, dirt cheap, was the anchor material. I was shocked because it was even better than my original plan. Why, you ask? Because our school mascot is a ship. We're the Vanderbilt Voyagers. Anchors are on ships. Oh. My. Gosh. So perfect!!

So instead of two blankets, I made a family-sized "Vanderbilt Voyager" blanket.

I could feel God laughing with me ..."See what happens when you try to plan things?? My plans are greater than your plans ..."

My God sure does have a sense of humor!

No comments:

Post a Comment