
I feel as though I'm the worst Mom ever. Today was a very rainy day, and I was getting Blake ready for school and myself ready for work. Long sleeved shirt for Blake, check. Jacket with hood for Blake, check. Snack bag and backpack for Blake, check. The ingredients for our employees' lunch, check. Paperwork I need to take to work, check. After we had everything, out the door we went.
Carpooling at Vanderbilt is somewhat difficult, as they encourage those cars with more than one child to take advantage of the carpool lane in front of the school. The others (like us) need to park down the road or around the block. So we parked in our usual spot, about a 1/2 block away.
One thing I did not remember as we were running through the downpour was the umbrella. By the time we got to the school, we were both completely drenched. As Blake looked up at me with his little puppy dog eyes and water streaming down his face, he says, "Mom, my pants are wet." My adorable child now needs to sit in those wet clothes at school until they dry. I never even thought about packing an additional set of clothes, nor did I think about bringing our umbrella.
I had to remind myself that 1) his clothes will dry eventually, and 2) colds are not started from wet clothes, they are started with a virus. So if he comes down with a cold, it wouldn't necessarily be my fault. One of our employees reminded me that I made him a good breakfast, right? (Which I did ... eggs, toast, and bacon), and a lot of other Moms probably didn't do that much. I still feel like a rotten Mother, but at least now I don't feel like I'm the worst Mother in the world.
Every day is a learning process in the game of life. We make mistakes, learn from them, then move on. One thing's for sure ... when it's raining, I'd better have that umbrella handy.
You are a good mom...don't doubt it for a second! I learned the hard way too and now I keep a small umbrella in the glove compartment...it's always there in case I forget which is often the case when you have a bazillion other things to remember as your scrambling to get out the door! We live, we learn. :)
ReplyDeleteWith the wind today, his pants would have been wet even with an umbrella. It was hitting us at all angles. He would have needed a wet suit to keep dry. - Pam
ReplyDelete