Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I am NOT a machine operator ...

This machine-operator position is definitely not for me. I tried it, gave it a few days (was it a week?), and I've come up with more "Christian" swear words during that time than any other time (i.e., "stink on a stick", "son of a beanstalk"). I've been almost in tears most nights, out of frustration and overwhelming amount of stress related to running the machines. Why is this so difficult for me?

I know that anytime a person starts a new job or new position in the company, there is a training period which is very tedious. You go home, wondering what in the world you are doing. Then after about 6 months, you get the hang of it, and are able to really succeed in your job.

Unfortunately, we are at a critical point here at Westshore. We have very large orders coming up, and we're going to be extremely swamped. I can't wait 6 months to figure out if I'm going to be good at or even like this machine operator's position. We need to know now if it's a good fit. We will be hiring more employees hopefully later this year, and we need to get everything all set before that time comes.

Jon and the other employees have been tossing around the idea of making me the Production Supervisor. I'm kind of torn about that idea, as I can be sort of a tyrant when I oversee other people. I want stuff done now and ready to ship to meet the customer's needs. No time for smoke breaks or idle chit-chat. Quite honestly, I didn't know that doing that makes a person a tyrant, but apparently so.

But a plus side is that I'm pretty organized when it comes to meeting deadlines. I believe in open communication, in that all employees are going to know what is the highest priority to build and what needs to get shipped today. I want to have weekly staff meetings to make sure that everyone is on the same page. But I have to remember that I work with a bunch of guys who hate meetings. Maybe I'll make them cookies or something.

So I guess we'll see what the next couple of days holds for me. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment