Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Hash Brown Casserole ...

People are always asking me, how in the world am I able to come up with new and easy recipes to feed my "family" of 11? After almost 1 1/2 years of practice, there are some recipes that are pretty much foolproof and super simple to make. (In case you didn't know, my "family" of 11 consists of our employees. I make lunch for them everyday.) Obviously, you may only have 3-4 people in your family to feed, so feel free to reduce the amount of ingredients. (But if you need a yummy dish for a potluck, then these recipes will be perfect!)

This recipe is one that the my boys love, although I do modify it to suit our needs. My husband is super picky, but after a few changes, he gobbles it right up!

Hash Brown Casserole

12 eggs
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1/8 t. cayenne pepper, optional
1 pkg (30 oz) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
2 cups (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1 large onion, chopped (I omit this)
1 medium green pepper, chopped (I omit this)
1 cup cubed fully cooked ham (sometimes I use bacon pieces or sausage links)

In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and cayenne, if desired. Stir in the potatoes, cheese, onion, green pepper, and ham. Pour into a greased 13x9" baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 45-50 mins or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 12-15 servings

I usually serve this casserole with a side of fruit and a bread. Today, we're having it with strawberries (cut up, with a little sugar added), various danishes, and OJ to drink. Yum Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment